COUNSEL FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENT ENTITIES IN THE HUDSON VALLEY
The Hudson Valley is home to hundreds of overlapping municipalities, public authorities and special districts carrying out the public business based on a complex delineation of authority.
At the law firm of Whitbeck Benedict & Smith LLP we provide skilled legal counsel to municipalities and authorities throughout the region based on an in-depth understanding of New York municipal and public authorities law. To learn more about the services we provide, we encourage you to contact us.
EXPERIENCED LAWYERS FOR MUNICIPALITIES, DISTRICTS AND AUTHORITIES
Our attorneys represent cities, towns, villages, school districts, water and sewer districts, fire districts, library districts, industrial development agencies (IDAs), solid waste agencies, and other municipalities, special districts, and public authorities in circumstances such as the following:
- Bidding and procurement: We help clients achieve compliance with all applicable New York state bidding and procurement guidelines.
- Legislative drafting: We are experienced at drafting sound, effective municipal local laws, regulations, resolutions, ordinances, and other legislative materials.
- Negotiation and preparation of contracts: We are available to draft, review and negotiate contracts with consultants, contractors and other parties. We prepare inter-municipal agreements for many types of shared services.
- Board procedures: We advise our clients regarding open meetings, public hearings and freedom of information law (FOIL) matters. We are experienced at drafting proceedings for permissive and mandatory referendum in compliance with applicable New York State law.
- Real estate matters and capital projects: We guide clients through the process of purchasing and selling real estate, negotiating easements, and developing capital facilities.
- Local government ethics: Government entities are governed by state and local laws and policies governing ethics and conflicts. We are experienced at advising clients on ethics issues.
- Referendum: We are experienced at drafting and organizing municipal referendum in compliance with applicable New York state law.
- District Proceedings: We advise our municipal clients regarding creation, modification, and construction projects for special districts including water and sewer projects.
- Employment and labor matters: We advise our clients regarding contract negotiations and other labor and employment matters.
- PILOT: We advise municipalities regarding all types of PILOT agreements including private housing developments and IDA projects.
As a result of our depth of experience in related areas, we are able to assist with transactions involving multiple parties, jurisdictions, and issues. We are also experienced at representing municipalities and public authorities in civil litigation, including Article 78 litigation, SEQRA review, property tax assessments, and land use. Please contact us to discuss your needs with an experienced municipal law attorney.